A keratin treatment is a true elixir of beauty for the hair: "working from within" it intensely nourishes the hair, hydrating and restructuring it thoroughly.
After the treatment, the hair will be visibly softer, smoother and healthier; folding and styling will be easier.
Keratin treatment is called "semi-permanent" as its effects do not last forever. Generally a treatment lasts about 2 or 3 months, but this time varies according to many factors and above all the frequency with which we wash our hair.
Did you know that the snail slime hair mask by Nuvò Cosmetic is enriched with plant keratin?
Discover all snail slime cosmetic products by Nuvò!
What is Keratin?
Keratin is a natural protein and is found in the outer layers of nails, skin and is one of the main elements that make up the hair fiber.
The keratin found in hair products is of plant origin.
The keratin used in hair products and treatments does not alter the structure of the hair , but is chemically compatible with the composition of the hair itself.
Loss and decrease of keratin are quite common phenomena for hair: unlike the skin, hair is not able to rebuild or regenerate itself. The loss of keratin makes the hair weak, subject to split ends and is the main cause of the hated "neglected" effect .
The causes that lead to hair loss of keratin are many:
- Frequent use of hair dryer and straightener: try to use the hair dryer with air temperatures that are not too high, use the straightener only when necessary and get used to letting the hair dry naturally when the temperature allows it.
- Frequent dyes, bleaching or perms: these treatments chemically alter the hair and are harmful to the health of our hair.
- Use of aggressive shampoos and products: make sure you use specific detergents for your hair type, but avoid those products that are too aggressive on the scalp and hair.
- Smoking, stress and poor diet: adopting a correct and healthy lifestyle has a positive effect on the beauty and health of our hair.
- Prolonged exposure to the sun: let's protect our hair from the sun, salt and chlorine with a specific product.
Keratin treatment for various hair types
Keratin treatment is not just for frizzy or curly hair: all hair types can enjoy the positive effects of this treatment.
- Curly hair : after the treatment, curly hair will be semi-permanently smoothed and it will no longer be necessary to constantly use the straightener to have a smooth style. Curly hair can also be treated simply by "stretching" the curls, eliminating frizz, but maintaining volume and defining the curl.
- Frizzy hair : the treatment eliminates the hated "straw" and "neglected" effect typical of frizzy hair. The hair will be smooth, shiny and disciplined. Humidity, the great enemy of this type of hair, will no longer be a problem.
- Straight hair : the keratin treatment works on this type of hair, making it softer and stronger.
- Fine hair : after the treatment the hair will be thicker, more resistant and full-bodied.
Keratin treatment is great for all hair types
Professional keratin treatments
Hairdressing salons offer two different keratin treatments , to be chosen according to the type of hair and according to the final result to be obtained.
Reconstructive keratin treatment
This type of treatment is especially indicated for damaged, brittle and ruined hair, but it is also indicated for thin hair. The result of the treatment is rehydrated, stronger, full-bodied and soft hair. Curly and frizzy hair will finally be disciplined.
What are the steps of this treatment?
- Hair washing with a specific shampoo.
- Wrap : a keratin wrap is applied to towel-dried hair. For best results, place yourself under a heat source. The compress is kept for about 20 minutes and then rinsed off thoroughly.
- Moisturizing mask : this phase is used to give hydration, softness and shine to the hair, fixing the reconstruction treatment. The hair mask , in fact, acts like a film that protects the hair from aggressive external agents. After about 5 minutes of application, it is rinsed.
- Drying with a hot heat source (hairdryer or plate) to better fix the treatment.
Keratin treatment for a perfect smoothing and detangling effect
Smoothing keratin treatment
This treatment is recommended for very frizzy, wavy and curly hair and for those who want extremely smooth hair. The smooth effect lasts 3 to 4 months.
Before undergoing this treatment, make sure that it is not done using formaldehyde, a carcinogenic substance prohibited by law.
With the necessary precautions, it will be possible to prolong the benefits obtained from a keratin treatment done by the hairdresser.
Here are a few tips that might help you:
- Use keratin shampoo and conditioner.
- Once a week do a keratin mask.. For best results, wrap your hair in a warm towel while styling.
- Use the straightener and hair dryer as little as possible , which tend to wear out the hair.
- Limit discolorations and tints.
Keratin treatment at home
It is also possible to do a keratin treatment at home.
First, make sure you carefully choose the best product for your needs and make sure it does not contain formaldehyde. On the market you can find both liquid keratin (to be used combined with other products) or convenient ready-made kits, containing everything you need. You can find everything you need in herbal medicine, in pharmacies that also make galenic preparations or on sites that sell cosmetic products for hair.
The procedure is quite simple and is very similar to what a hairdresser would do for you:
- Wash your hair with the appropriate shampoo.
- Separate the strands one by one and apply the chosen keratin treatment: help yourself with a wide-toothed comb so as to distribute the product evenly from the roots to the ends.
- Leave the treatment on for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Dry your hair at very high temperatures to fix the keratin.
- For best results, pass the straightener strand by strand.
- Do not wash your hair for 48 hours: this will allow the treatment to work best on your hair.
The keratin treatment at home lasts up to two-three months and is very similar to the one obtained in the salon and, to make it last longer, the same precautions apply as those of a post-hairdresser treatment.
There are many benefits of keratin treatment
Benefits of keratin treatment
The benefits and advantages of a keratin treatment for your hair are many. Among them, it:
- Restores the hair shaft: the living part of the hair is the root. The stem (all the visible part, i.e. the actual hair along its entire length) is made up of "dead" cells which are produced by the root and which, over time, age and lose consistency. The keratin treatment will give new life to the stem, adding layers to the hair to make it healthy and strong again.
- Greater body of the hair: from the first application the hair will be fuller and healthier because the keratin will recompact the hair shaft.
- Straight, shiny and elastic hair for several months: if you have curly or wavy hair and choose the straightening treatment, your hair will be smooth without having to resort to a hairdryer and straightener.
- Useful for hair of any type and color: whether you have dyed or natural hair, whether it is short or long, straight or frizzy, the treatment will give new life to your hair.
Does keratin treatment involve any risks?
A keratin treatment does not involve any risk to the hair , as it does not break the chains that form the structure of the hair, but changes its shape.
The substance used, vegetable keratin, is not harmful to the hair or to the body.
The only risk is represented by the use of products containing formaldehyde which is potentially carcinogenic and is prohibited by law in Italy: making sure you use a treatment without this substance is the only precaution to always take into consideration before doing a keratin treatment .
Contraindications of keratin treatment
The contraindications of a keratin treatment are very few.
It is usually not recommended for those with very sparse or very thin hair or for people suffering from oily and sensitive skin: in these cases the treatment could prove to be too aggressive and alter the skin's balance.
In these cases it is possible to resort to the use of products usually recommended as maintenance of a keratin treatment: these shampoos, conditioners and masks contain keratin in smaller quantities than the treatment pack, but they are still very useful for the hair.