Do you know what face scrub is?
It is a cream-based product containing exfoliating granules which, when applied to the skin of the face, gently massaging, eliminates the dead cells of the epidermis, which accumulate on its surface, thus preventing the moisturizing and nourishing products from penetrating deeply. making the complexion dull.
There are many exfoliating products on the market, but for the face you have to buy a specific exfoliating product, because the skin of the face is more delicate and it is also the most sensitive part of the body and most exposed to atmospheric elements and pollution, compared to any other body area.
Dedicating yourself to the face scrub must become a routine that can prove beneficial for skin care, provided you find the right exfoliating face scrub for your skin and the problems encountered: you will find specific scrubs for dry skin, oily skin or skin that has those unsightly blackheads, for example.
A scrub also gives the skin a fresher, more uniform appearance, but some exfoliating products prove to be too harsh and abrasive, therefore inadvisable because they can create redness and irritation on the skin. The best solution, first of all, is to choose a delicate scrub .
How to recognize a delicate scrub?
A scrub can be a great way to keep your skin clean and smooth at all times, but only by using a scrub that's right for your skin type . Further on you can read our recommendations for scrubs to be applied according to the various skin types.
An exfoliating face scrub is not gentle when:
- It makes skin appear dry and flaky : if you feel cracked skin after applying a scrub, it means that its ingredients are not compatible with your skin type. Then use a moisturizer to restore the skin's hydration and elasticity.
- Irritates Skin : Some exfoliating ingredients are hard and grainy and can irritate some skin types.
The ideal is to test the scrub on the back of the hand , and not directly on the face, to determine its delicacy and consistency. It's not just a matter of ingredients, but the size and shape of the particles contained in the scrub.
What is the face scrub for?
We have mentioned that a face scrub is useful for exfoliating the skin, to eliminate dead cells. Every day not only dead skin cells accumulate on the surface of your face, but also dirt and smog, which make the complexion both dull and sometimes even chapped.
The exfoliating face scrub removes all these buildups, these impurities, leaving your skin smooth and clean, even glowing. It's a product to be used before makeup, of course, otherwise you won't be able to apply it evenly.
When to use the face scrub?
How often should you exfoliate your face with a scrub? Avoid excessive exfoliation in the first place, as it will irritate your skin, making it worse.
How often to use a face scrub?
It is a question that cannot have a single answer. In general, you should use a face scrub a maximum of 2-3 times a week, otherwise you risk losing skin hydration and creating inflammation.
Your skin will be more sensitive than usual after exfoliating, so it's important to give it time to recover. Applying a scrub every day, especially if you have delicate skin, means removing the outermost layer as well, not just the dead cells.
Some women only use an exfoliating scrub once a week, but for many skin types, that's not enough.
How to apply face scrub
We want to divide the whole face exfoliating operation into 3 parts:
- how to prepare the face for the scrub
- how to apply face scrub
- what to do after the exfoliating scrub
What to do before applying an exfoliating face scrub
- Wash and cleanse your face with clean water.
- Dry your face with a soft towel.
Why wash your face before applying a scrub?
If you cleanse your face before proceeding with an exfoliating action, you will remove traces of dirt, sweat and any make-up from the skin. The exfoliating scrub will work on clean skin and its action will be more effective.
How to apply face scrub
- Apply the product by making delicate and light, circular movements on the surface of the face (forehead, nose, chin and cheeks), avoiding the eye contour. You will feel the effect on your face thanks to the coarse granules present in the product.
- Massage with your fingers for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse your face with room temperature water - very hot water can irritate your skin after you've exfoliated it.
- Dry your face.
What to do after the exfoliating scrub
Facial exfoliation is not limited to the mechanical action you perform by eliminating dead cells and other impurities from your skin, but it is important to adopt a "beauty routine", that is, guaranteeing daily skin care for your face.
After the scrub, we recommend one of our snail slime face serums , suitable for all ages, which, thanks to the elements contained in snail slime - vitamin E and hexapeptide - are effective as antioxidants.
Subsequently, according to the skin type, a snail slime moisturizer , which you will find for every skin type. The exfoliating action is a rather harsh process for the skin, so it is necessary to restore its hydration after the scrub, also and above all to protect it from atmospheric agents and ultraviolet rays from the sun.
Facial scrub for various skin types
Which face scrub to choose ? Finding the right scrub is often difficult, because there are so many products in cosmetics. To choose the “ideal” face scrub, you absolutely need to consider your skin type.
If you have normal skin, you're in luck: make sure you check the ingredients of the face scrub carefully, to avoid allergies or other unpleasant consequences.
For dry skin, an exfoliating scrub with a creamy, fine-grained texture and containing moisturizing oils is recommended.
Apply the face scrub for dry skin once or 2 times a week, always followed by the application of a moisturizer.
If you have oily skin, don't overuse a scrub, as this can dry out your skin and cause it to produce more oil. Then use a scrub that cleanses your skin, but doesn't leave it excessively dry.
The best face scrub for oily skin is one that contains salicylic acid, because it helps regulate oil production in the skin.
Combination skin is more complicated than previous skin types, because different areas of the face have different needs. So you need a scrub that can treat both oily and dry parts of your face.
Therefore, a useful face scrub for combination skin (i.e. forehead, nose and chin – called the T-zone of the face – with oily skin and cheeks with dry skin) is a scrub with fruit extracts, seaweed and vitamin E. The cheeks obviously need more hydration after the scrub.
Skin with black dots
Blackheads on the skin of the face form when some pores are blocked by sebum, if it has been produced in excess for hormonal reasons, or dead cells. This buildup on the skin oxidizes and turns black.
The best face scrub for skin with blackheads is a product that contains salicylic acid: the combined action of the mechanical exfoliation of the scrub and the chemical exfoliation of the salicylic acid will keep the pores clean, avoiding accumulations of sebum and dead cells and therefore the formation of black points.
Skin with pimples
Facial skin with acne is very sensitive and needs a very delicate scrub. We have a face scrub with natural active ingredients and microspheres that exfoliate very gently.
Some active ingredients present in the face scrub are ideal for skin with pimples, because they are very soothing, while other active ingredients are optimal for impure skin in general.
These are the active ingredients, with their various properties, present in our scrub:
Snail slime : this natural substance is widely used in cosmetics for its many beneficial properties. Snail slime contains a series of ingredients useful for the well-being of the skin:
- Glycolic acid
It is therefore a substance that stimulates the production of collagen and elastin in the skin, acts as a moisturizer, fights skin imperfections such as wrinkles and spots caused by solar radiation and is useful in the treatment of acne, thanks to the presence of allantoin, a compound that regenerates the layers of the skin, reducing its various imperfections, including pimples, but also abrasions and wrinkles.
Primrose oil : it is another active ingredient useful for acne-prone facial skin, as it reduces inflammation, carrying out a soothing action and reducing the possibility of future outbreaks.
It also has anti-inflammatory properties and stimulates moisture retention in the skin. It also helps to smooth the skin of the face by improving its elasticity.
Safflower oil : it is a cooking oil that comes from the seeds of the safflower plant, also called saffron. In addition to the food industry, safflower oil is also used in cosmetics for its moisturizing properties. It is also anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
Thanks to these properties, safflower oil makes the skin smooth and soft. For its anti-inflammatory effects it is also used in the treatment of pimples and acne spots.
Nettle Extract : Nettle leaves and roots have a wide variety of nutrients:
- Vitamins: vitamins A, C and K and several B vitamins.
- Minerals: calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and sodium
- Fats: linoleic acid, linolenic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid and oleic acid
- Essential amino acids
- Polyphenols: Kaempferol, quercetin, caffeic acid, coumarins and other flavonoids
- Pigments: beta-carotene, lutein, luteoxanthin and other carotenoids
It has anti-inflammatory properties. It is also stimulating, purifying and astringent.
Burdock Extract : A vegetable native to Northern Asia and Europe. Burdock root contains powerful antioxidants, including quercetin, luteolin and phenolic acids.
It therefore protects the skin from free radicals and its antioxidant action helps reduce inflammation. It is also an adjuvant in treatments against acne and pimples, psoriasis and eczema.
Shea butter : comes from the seeds of the fruit of the shea tree, also called the butter tree, a plant widespread in Africa. Shea butter provides the skin with nutrients for collagen production and essential fatty acids. It has a number of benefits:
- It is moisturizing: thanks to the concentration of natural vitamins (A, E, F) and fatty acids it is very nourishing and moisturizing for the skin.
- It is anti-inflammatory: it has soothing properties and is beneficial for skin with acne.
- It has smoothing properties for the skin: by stimulating the production of collagen and containing oleic, stearic, palmitic and linolenic acids, it makes the skin soft and helps fight wrinkles.
Rice starch : it has various beneficial properties for the skin and is used in various treatments, carrying out soothing and toning actions. It boosts collagen, so it keeps your skin supple, protects against sun damage, and helps prevent wrinkles. It also has antioxidant properties.
Rice starch is useful for facial skin with pimples, as it naturally soothes inflammation and skin rashes, calming redness with its astringent action on pores.
Natural organic face scrub
Do you know the AIAB certified organic face scrub ? AIAB is the Italian Association for Organic Agriculture, an association based on sustainable agricultural production. There are organic face scrubs , i.e. created with natural ingredients, in full respect of nature.
Exfoliating face scrub with snail slime
This face scrub contains glycolic acid , a powerful natural exfoliant. What properties does glycolic acid have useful for the skin of the face?
Glycolic acid, derived from sugar cane but also found in snail slime, is part of the alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) family – along with malic and lactic acids – and is a common ingredient in many skincare products .
An important function of glycolic acid is exfoliating, i.e. it quickly removes the layer of dead skin cells and at the same time stimulates cell regeneration.
What creams to apply after the face scrub
Just as you've chosen an exfoliating scrub based on your skin type, you need to broaden your search for creams to apply after a scrub .
- Cream for Dry Skin : You need a good moisturizer, which will increase the overall hydration of the skin on your face, leaving it looking soft and glowing.
- Cream for oily skin : oily skins have an excess of sebum, so they appear brighter, shinier than others, especially in the T-zone of the face. Look for a cooling face cream. Choose a light, fat-free moisturizer.
- Cream for combination skin : in this case you have to use a light moisturizer, concentrating it on the oiliest areas, so more cream on the cheeks, drier areas, and less amount on the T-zone, which is naturally oilier.
- Sensitive skin cream : pay attention to the ingredients, because some may irritate the skin or create allergies. Avoid creams with fragrances to reduce this risk. Choose gentle moisturizers that contain natural ingredients.
2 final thoughts on exfoliating face scrubs
- Do all face scrubs damage the skin? The exfoliating action, as you have read, must remove the various impurities that have accumulated on the skin of the face every day, so it is both a physical and a chemical action on your skin. A surface layer is removed, at the bottom. For this reason, it is important to choose delicate scrubs that are appropriate for your skin type and not to use too much to avoid redness and irritation.
- Does the scrub get rid of pimples? You can use a specific face scrub for pimples, but that doesn't mean that the scrub will get rid of acne, it just won't further damage your skin, which is already irritated by pimples.