Does the anti-wrinkle face cream work?
This is the question we hear most often. Do anti-wrinkle creams really reduce the appearance of wrinkles on the face?
Many buy an anti-wrinkle cream in the hope that the product will reduce or prevent wrinkles or reverse sun damage to the skin. But whether or not an anti-wrinkle cream works essentially depends on the ingredients.
Common ingredients in an anti-wrinkle face cream
What does an anti-wrinkle cream contain and why can it improve the appearance of the skin on the face?
This type of cream is often moisturizing and contains active ingredients that offer additional benefits for the skin. They are ingredients added to improve skin tone, its texture and reduce wrinkles. The effectiveness of these creams depends in part on the skin type or the active ingredients.
Hydration can improve the appearance of your skin by temporarily plumping it, making wrinkles less visible.
What ingredients are frequently found in an anti-wrinkle face cream?
- Retinoids . Term used for compounds of vitamin A , such as retinol and retinoic acid. These ingredients have long been used topically to repair sun-damaged skin and reduce wrinkles.
- Hydroxyacids . Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) include glycolic, citric and lactic acids and are used to remove dead skin cells (exfoliation). Regular use of an AHA product prepares the skin to better absorb other products and stimulates the growth of smooth, evenly pigmented new skin.
- Grape seed extract is an ingredient in anti-wrinkle face creams that helps in the formation of collagen.
- Peptides . These molecules occur naturally in living organisms. Certain peptides can stimulate collagen production and have been shown to improve skin texture and smooth out wrinkles.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, so it protects the skin from free radicals, unstable oxygen molecules that break down skin cells and cause wrinkles. Vitamin C can help protect your skin from sun damage and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Before and between uses, anti-wrinkle face creams containing vitamin C should be stored in a way that protects them from the air and the sun's rays.
- Grape Seed Extract . In addition to having antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, grape seed extract promotes collagen production.
How to choose the best wrinkle cream
If you want to buy an anti-wrinkle face cream, here are some considerations to make:
- Cost . The price of an anti-wrinkle cream has no relation to its effectiveness. A more expensive wrinkle cream may not be any more effective than a less expensive product.
- Daily use . You will probably need to use wrinkle cream once or twice a day for several weeks before you notice an improvement. And once you stop using the product, your skin is likely to return to its original appearance.
- Less active ingredients . Non-prescription wrinkle creams contain lower concentrations of active ingredients than prescription creams. So the results, if any, are limited and usually short-lived.
- Multiple ingredients . A product with two or three active ingredients is not necessarily more effective than a product with only one active ingredient. Similarly, using multiple anti-wrinkle products at the same time can irritate the skin rather than benefit it.
- Individual differences. People have different skin types. Therefore, no product works the same for everyone. The fact that someone you know has benefited from an anti-wrinkle face cream does not mean that it will have the same effects on your skin.
- Side Effects . Some products can cause skin irritation, rashes, burning or redness. Read and follow product instructions to limit side effects. It may be helpful to select products that do not cause allergic reactions (hypoallergenic) or acne (noncomedogenic).
How to maximize the effects of an anti-wrinkle cream
An anti-wrinkle face cream can reduce the appearance of wrinkles based on the frequency of use, the type and amount of active ingredients it contains, and also the type of wrinkles being treated. However, there are some precautions you can follow to maximize its effects on the skin of the face.
- Sunscreen is important to make anti-wrinkle face cream more effective.
- Use moisturizers . Moisturizers can't prevent wrinkles, but they trap water in the skin, temporarily masking fine lines and creases.
- Protect your skin from the sun . Exposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays accelerates the skin's natural aging process, causing wrinkles and rough, blotchy skin. In fact, sun exposure is the number one cause that leads to signs of skin aging, including uneven pigmentation. Wear protective clothing, a hat, and use sunscreen on exposed skin year-round when you're outdoors.
- No smoking . Smoking causes blood vessels in the outermost layers of skin to narrow and damages collagen and elastin , fibers that give your skin strength and elasticity. As a result, the skin starts to show wrinkles prematurely. Even if you've smoked for years or have smoked heavily, you can still improve skin tone and texture and prevent future wrinkles by quitting smoking.
At what age to start using anti-wrinkle cream for the face
Anti-aging products, especially those with antioxidant ingredients, can be used as early as 21, but most importantly, use anti-aging products that are appropriate for your skin type.
If your skin is very dry, you need intensive, lipid-rich oils, but normal, combination, acne-prone, and oily skin types don't need them, as you may experience clogged pores, breakouts, and increased of black points .
In general, the best way to prevent aging in young skin is to use sunscreen every day of the year, eat a diet rich in antioxidants to prevent aging from within, and always use products formulated exclusively for your skin type. .
How to apply the cream on the face
Before applying an anti wrinkle face cream, you need to cleanse your skin to get rid of dirt and oil from your face because this type of cream should always be applied on a clean and dry face.
A do-it-yourself facial cleansing , simple to do at home, is ideal for having a clean face and preparing it for the action of the anti-wrinkle cream.To apply the anti-aging face cream, use a sufficient amount on the area to be treated, then massage in circular movements on the face, going down to the contours of the neck and décolleté. Face creams can be used after face serums to maximize results.