A face serum is a concentrated product rich in active ingredients, created to solve specific skin problems. It contains a higher level of active ingredients than a normal face cream, because the heavier oils and ingredients have been eliminated.
Furthermore, being lighter, it is applied before face cream: for example, pure snail slime serum should be applied before antiaging cream or moisturizer, tapping well with your fingers and letting it absorb into the skin.
Benefits of face serum
Before you buy a serum for your skin, and choose the perfect serum for you , you'll want to know its benefits.
What can a serum do for your skin? What benefits will you get from its constant use?
- A perfect serum also depends on your skin type: you can also find serums for skin with pimples.
- Improves skin texture thanks to the content of collagen and vitamin C, making it firmer and smoother.
- It reduces minor blemishes, scars, pimples and other marks, because they begin to lighten with regular use of the serum, especially if it has plant concentrates.
- Reduces the size of open pores, which cause blackheads and pimples.
- They reduce dry skin under the eyes, dark circles and fine lines.
- They make the skin fresher and more hydrated.
- Soothes sensitive skin.
- Protects skin from free radicals and future damage.
What ingredients are used in the face serum?
You're looking for the perfect serum and you don't know which one to buy among the many products you can find in the store.
Now let's talk about ingredients: face serum ingredients have various functions, both for ordinary skin care and for aesthetics. Let's see the ingredients and their main benefits for the skin of the face.
- Vitamin C : anti-aging, it is a powerful component useful for the formation of collagen.
- Antioxidants : essential to protect the skin from stress and environmental damage.
- Hyaluronic acid : useful for treating dehydrated skin, it ensures that it does not lose its natural moisture.
- Anti-inflammatories : If you have sensitive skin, use a serum with anti-inflammatory properties, preventing redness, rashes and inflammation.
- Active ingredients of plant origin : perfect for tackling sun spots and scars.
- Retinols : Ideal for acne prone skin.
How to choose the perfect serum for your face?
As we have said, the cosmetics market is full of serums and thus it becomes not an easy task to extricate oneself from the many products available and choose the right one.
Our advice is to consider 2 factors when choosing your serum:
- The skin problem you want to solve : do you have dull skin? Do you have too many wrinkles on your face? Have spots appeared after exposure to the sun?
- Your skin type : do you know how to find out what type of skin you have ? If you have mature skin, you need a hyaluronic acid and vitamin C serum; if you have oily, acne-prone skin , choose a face serum with salicylic acid and retinols; if you have normal skin , use a glycolic acid serum, which locks in moisture and keeps skin fresh and rejuvenated.
The most common types of face serums
Before choosing the perfect serum for your face skin, find out which are the most common serums on the market.
As you can read, there are serums formulated to solve various types of skin problems:
- Moisturizing serums : Provide an extra layer of moisture under face creams, face oils, or sunscreens by using humectants, ingredients that draw water into the stratum corneum (top layer of skin). They contain hyaluronic acid, glycerin, aloe vera, snail slime . They are suitable for all skin types.
- Antioxidant serums : protect the skin from free radicals that cause aging. Free radicals are unstable molecular fragments (usually produced by air pollution and UV rays) that attack cells through a process called oxidation. The antioxidant ingredients neutralize free radicals and prevent them from doing any damage to your skin. The most common ingredients are vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid and its derivatives), niacinamide, retinoids, vitamin E , ferulic acid, coenzyme Q10, green tea. Useful for all skin types, but if you have acne-prone skin, watch out for L-ascorbic acid.
- Brightening Serums : Even out skin tone and reduce dark spots, post-acne marks and hyperpigmentation. The ingredients they use are vitamin C, niacinamide, kojic acid, alpha arbutin, tranexamic acid, hydroxy acids. Sometimes, lightening serums also contain light-reflecting particles that give an instant glowing effect.
- Replenishing Serums : These are exfoliating treatments that contain AHA, BHA, or a blend of both. They dissolve the buildup of dead skin cells and create a smoother skin surface. Main ingredients are lactic acid, glycolic acid , salicylic acid. Suitable for all skin types.
- Lightening serums : useful for combating facial imperfections, while also helping to reduce excess sebum. They contain BHAs, which penetrate beneath the skin's surface to deeply cleanse pores and regulate oil production. They are often paired with other ingredients that bring down inflammation and reduce redness. Among the ingredients appear salicylic acid, willow bark extract, zinc, niacinamide. Useful for those with breakouts, oily skin, clogged pores.
- Serums to minimize pores : they precisely reduce the appearance of enlarged pores. They contain ingredients that exfoliate inside the pores and reduce the secretion of sebum. They also help eliminate hardened subcutaneous bumps and smooth out the "orange peel" skin texture. The main ingredients are niacinamide, salicylic acid, mushroom extract.
- Anti-aging serums : fight wrinkles, loss of elasticity and loss of skin firmness. They also help reduce dark spots and pigmentation issues. They contain retinoids, peptides, vitamin C, hydroxy acids, ingredients useful for the formation of collagen.
- Calming Serums : Soothe sensitive skin, reduce redness and irritation, and help strengthen a weakened skin barrier, making skin more resilient, restore the moisture content of the stratum corneum, and reduce inflammation. They contain niacinamide, ceramides. Ideal for sensitive and reddened skin.
Choose a face serum for various skin types
You can also choose a face serum that takes into account your skin type and the results you want to achieve.
Anti wrinkle serum for the face
If you must use a serum to reduce wrinkles on your face, choose a serum that contains retinol. The natural loss of collagen with age contributes to the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. In this case you need to increase skin cell turnover and stimulate collagen production.
Another benefit of retinol is to increase levels of hyaluronic acid, a natural component of the skin that keeps it plump and hydrated.
Moisturizing serum for combination to oily skin
If you have combination or oily skin, buy a serum that contains hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water, so it's a top-notch moisturizer.
Serum to reduce the appearance of pores and prevent breakouts
Choose a serum with salicylic acid, which can unclog pores and cleanse them of accumulated dirt. Large pores are the result of pores clogged with dead skin cells and mixed with sebum.
A combination of alpha hydroxy acids (such as glycolic or lactic acid) is helpful for decongesting pores, along with salicylic acid, which is a beta hydroxy acid (BHA). Salicylic softens and dissolves keratin that may be clogging pores.
Serum to eliminate pigment problems and boost radiance
A serum with vitamin C is helpful. Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, is effective for lightening unwanted pigmentation and preventing future dark spots.
Serum to protect the skin and slow down aging
A resveratrol serum, which is a polyphenol, a plant compound found in grapes. Resveratrol is a great antioxidant. It stimulates the production of collagen, but its antioxidant properties protect the skin from free radical damage and slow down aging.